Regulation is increasingly being used throughout the world as a way to effectively oversee the quality and price of competitively provided services, monitor the actions of utilities, provide consumer protection, and create communication channels with all stakeholders. As more and more national, state, and local governments turn to regulations to monitor their electric, water, transportation, telecommunications, and municipal sectors, the need to develop the skills and experience of individuals involved in this growing industry becomes paramount.
To ensure that the professional capacity of the individual practitioners involved in regulation design, management, and implementation is of the highest quality and consistency, IP3 and WEDC/LU developed the Certified Regulation Specialist™ program. The goal of this professional certification program is to create a world class standard in regulatory skills development and to provide participants who complete the requirements of the program with a comprehensive and internationally recognized certification in the technical and managerial aspects of regulation in a variety of sectors and the successful management and oversight of nascent regulatory bodies.
Since its founding in 1994, IP3 has been a global leader in regulation training, research, and consulting, having trained thousands of participants from over 175 countries worldwide. Through both professional development courses and their Masters programs in the municipal/urban services, engineering, and environmental sectors, WEDC/LU is a leader in the United Kingdom and elsewhere on integrating regulatory concepts into municipal/urban services and the environmental sector. The combined experience and leadership of these two institutions in this sector is unparalleled, and the knowledge gained from participants by achieving the professional certification will have global reach.
Standards in Regulation
The Certified Regulation Specialist™ program was created to foster standards of knowledge, understanding, and skills set development in the field of regulation that are highly valued by governments, consumer groups, regulated industries, financial institutions, and other relevant stakeholders. Our goal is to foster worldwide excellence in the analysis, methodology, implementation, and management of regulation through standards that are widely recognized and consistently applied. We will do this by successfully identifying, defining, documenting, and championing generally accepted "best practices" in international regulation models, strategies, and techniques and transfer this knowledge to participants through education and training.
Each approved training course has undergone a review to ensure the quality standards consistent with the certification requirements and with adult learning and professional development are being met. At a minimum, all courses will provide intensive training on the current theory, practical issues, and challenges facing decision-makers today in the design, management, and implementation of regulations. Training methodologies used focus on transferring of knowledge and exchanging of ideas in an adult learning environment.
We expect all graduates of the Certified Regulation Specialist™ program to be active practitioners in this field and to be increasingly recognized and compensated for their demonstratable expertise and knowledge.
To enter into the professional certification program, participants must be mid-career professionals holding a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with a minimum of two years professional experience. To receive the Certified Regulation Specialist™ certification, participants must complete the following requisites:
Completion of 24.0 continuing education units (CEUs)1 of training from the list of approved courses of which at minimum 15.0 CEUs must be obtained from IP3 or WEDC/LU’s course offerings and up to 9.0 CEUs may be earned from a third party training institution from approved courses list.
Successful completion of a "pass/fail" essay examination at the conclusion of their overall course work.
1IP3 and WEDC/LU and the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) definition of a Continuing Education Unit (CEU). 10.0 hours of "contact" training is the equivalent of 1.0 earned CEU (for example, a one-week training course with six hours of "contact" training per day would earn 3.0 CEUs). "Contact" is defined as classroom sessions, professional site visits, session preparations, and action planning development. For further information on CEU standards, please visit www.iacet.org. IP3 is an Authorized Provider of IACET CEUs.
- Commissioners and Staff of Regulatory Institutions responsible for regulating both public and private sector utilities in the water, energy, transportation, telecommunication, and other public service sectors.
- National, State, or Local Government Officials responsible for planning, and managing regulatory reform in all relevant sectors
- Executives and Managers from regulated industries active in interfacing and complying with regulatory institutions and managing shareholder value.
- Financial Analysts and Regulatory Economists responsible for investment appraisals, tariff analysis, and credit decisions in the capital markets.
- Consultants and Professors involved with providing advice and technical assistance to government agencies on the planning and management regulatory reform.
- Enhance Job-Related Skills for Professional Career Advancement. Each professional certification is geared towards both short-term and immediate job skills enhancement and long-term career development. By obtaining a "Professional Certification", you will have the requisite expert skills set to provide enhanced quality services to your institution and be recognized internationally as a specialist in your field. The credential will likely facilitate merit-based promotions within your existing organizations and/or with future employees in the public or private sector.
- Practical and Convenient Course Scheduling for Busy Professionals. Our courses are offered in locations worldwide and are conducted in convenient one-to-three week time periods. Our e-learning (online) courses will allow participants to take courses "any place and any time". This allows for maximum concentration on the course subject matter without significant time away from the office.
- Work With and Be Qualified to Join Our Distinguished Faculty. IP3 and WEDC/LU Faculty are selected and retained based on two premises: their practical work experience in the appropriate subject matter and their ability to teach and communicate in an adult learning environment. All of our faculty have hands-on, practical experience and all have extensive teaching capabilities. Once certified, all graduate become eligible to join the global faculty as a resource in future IP3/WEDC/LU programs.
- Global and Comprehensive Knowledge of Regulatory Network and Expertise. The partnership between IP3 and WEDC/LU spans five continents, over 200 countries, thousands of alumni, and scores of project activities.
Need Help? Contact an Advisor
IP3 provides certification counseling services to any person registered in any of our training programs. These services include assistance in determining the appropriate certification program that matches your skill level, education focus, and career goals.