The Institute for Public-Private Partnerships (IP3) and the Water, Engineering and Development Centre of Loughborough University (WEDC/LU) offer a joint Certified Public-Private Partnership Specialist™ Certification program.
Public-private partnerships worldwide are being used as a sustainable solution to the challenge of economic development. As more and more governments, private enterprises, and financial institutions, become involved in structuring or implementing public-private partnership models in a variety of sectors, the need to develop the skills and experience of individuals involved in this process becomes paramount.
To ensure that the professional capacity of the individual practitioners involved in structuring and implementing public-private partnerships is of the highest quality and consistency, IP3 and WEDC/LU have created a Certified Public-Private Partnership Specialist™ program. The goal of this professional certification program is to create a world class standard in public-private partnership skills development and to provide participants who complete the requirements of the program with a comprehensive and internationally recognized certification in the technical and managerial aspects of public-private partnerships and their successful implementation.
Since its founding in 1994, IP3 has been a global leader in public-private partnership training, research, and consulting, having trained tens of thousands of participants from over 175 countries worldwide. Through both professional development courses and their Masters programs in the municipal/urban services, engineering, and environmental sectors, WEDC/LU is a leader in the United Kingdom and elsewhere on public-private partnership training and research in municipal/urban services and the environmental sector. The combined experience and leadership of these two institutions in the field of public-private partnerships is unparalleled, and the knowledge gained from participants by achieving the professional certification will have global reach.
Standards in Public-Private Partnerships
The Certified Public-Private Partnership Specialist™ program was created to foster standards of knowledge, understanding, and skills set development in the field of public-private partnership that are highly valued by governments, private sector firms, financial institutions, and other relevant stakeholders. Our goal is to foster worldwide excellence in the design, financing, procurement, implementation, and monitoring of public-private partnership programs through standards that are widely recognized and consistently applied. We do this by successfully identifying, defining, documenting, and championing generally accepted "best practices" approaches to public-private partnership development and transfer this knowledge to participants through education and training.
Each training course eligible for certification has undergone a review to ensure the quality standards consistent with the certification requirements and with adult learning and professional development are being met. At a minimum, all courses will provide intensive training on the current theory, practical issues, and challenges facing decision-makers today in the planning, utilization, and monitoring of public-private partnerships. Training methodologies used focus on transferring of knowledge and exchanging of ideas in an adult learning environment.
We expect all graduates of the Certified Public-Private Partnership Specialist™ program to be active practitioners in this field and to be sought out for their expertise and knowledge.
To enter into the professional certification program, participants must be mid-career professionals holding a bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) with a minimum of two years professional experience. To receive the Certified Public-Private Partnership Specialist™ certification participants must complete the following requisites:
- Completion of 24.0 continuing education units (CEUs)1 of training from the list of approved courses of which at minimum 15.0 CEUs must be obtained from IP3 or WEDC/LU’s course offerings and up to 9.0 CEUs may be earned from a third party training institution from the approved courses list.
- Successful completion of a "pass/fail" essay examination at the conclusion of the overall course work.
1IP3 and WEDC/LU use the International Association for Continuing Education and Training (IACET) definition of a Continuing Education Unit (CEU). 10.0 hours of "contact" training is the equivalent of 1.0 earned CEU (for example, a one-week training course with six hours of "contact" training per day would earn 3.0 CEUs). "Contact" is defined as classroom sessions, professional site visits, session preparations, and action planning development. For further information on CEU standards, please visit www.iacet.org. IP3 is an Authorized Provider of IACET CEUs.
- National, State, or Local Government Officials responsible for planning, managing, and monitoring public-private partnership programs in the water, energy, transportation, telecommunications, sanitation, information technology, or any other public service area.
- Bankers and Financiers involved in sponsoring and financing public-private transactions programs in all sectors.
- Executives and Managers involved in developing and operating public-private partnership projects for corporations or on behalf of government.
- Agency Officials responsible for planning and financing public-private partnerships programs.
- Consultants, Professors, and other Professionals responsible for providing advice and technical assistance to public and private sector clients on the planning and management of public-private partnership.
- Enhance Job-Related Skills for Professional Career Advancement. The professional certification is geared towards both short-term and immediate job skills enhancement and long-term career development. By obtaining a "Professional Certification", you will have the requisite expert skills set to provide top quality services to your institution and be recognized internationally as a specialist in your field.
- Practical and Convenient Course Scheduling for Busy Professionals. Our courses are offered in locations worldwide and are conducted in convenient one-to-three week time periods. Our e-learning (online) courses will allow participants to take courses "any place and any time". This allows for maximum concentration on the course subject matter without significant time away from the office.
- Work With and Be Qualified to Join Our Distinguished Faculty. IP3 and WEDC faculty are selected and retained based on two premises: their practical work experience in the appropriate subject matter and their ability to teach and communicate in an adult learning environment. All of our faculty have hands-on, practical experience and all have extensive teaching capabilities. Once certified, all graduate become eligible to join the global faculty as a resource in future IP3/WEDC/LU programs.
- Global and Comprehensive Knowledge of Public-Private Partnerships. The partnership between IP3 and WEDC/LU spans five continents, over 200 countries, thousands of alumni, and scores of project activities. There is no greater leadership in the field of PPPs.
Need Help? Contact an Advisor
IP3 provides certification counseling services to any person registered in any of our training programs. These services include assistance in determining the appropriate certification program that matches your skill level, education focus, and career goals.